Europe-wide search for African Studies materials d
ilissAfrica (internet library sub-Saharan Africa) is a portal that offers integrated access to relevant scientific conventional and digital information resources on sub-Saharan Africa. Information scattered on private or institutional websites, databases or library catalogues is brought together in order to facilitate research.
There’s a mobile friendly version, too!
ilissAfrica allows simultaneous searching ("General search") in the following electronic resources:
- Africa Section of the Electronic Journals Library (EZB) to search E-Journals is provided.
- Library Catalogue UB Frankfurt (mainly books)
- Africa Section of the database World Affairs Online incl. the Africa library catalogue of GIGA Hamburg (books and journal articles) as from 1985
- Library Catalogue of the African Studies Centre, Leiden, The Netherlands (books and journal articles)
- Library Catalogue of the Nordic Africa Institute (NAI) in Uppsala/Sweden
- Library Catalogue of the Department of Anthropology and African Studies at Mainz University with Jahn Library and AMA
- SSG-Section of the Swets database "Online Contents" (titles of journal articles)
- Database on internet resources with more than 5.100 websites on sub-Saharan Africa
- Africa section of Bielefeld Academic Search Engine (BASE)
- Colonial Picture Archive with 50.000 digitized historical pictures of Frankfurt University Library, Germany, and the Sam Cohen Library, Swakopmund, Namibia.
ilissAfrica is a project of the Africa Department of the University Library Johann Christian Senckenberg in Frankfurt on the Main in cooperation with the GIGA Information Centre: Africa Library in Hamburg. Together they are in charge of the DFG Special Collections on sub-Saharan Africa.
The project was financed by the DFG.
ilissAfrica supports the association "European Librarians in African Studies" (ELIAS) as a european network aiming to promote professional exchange and cooperation among its members. The "Africa Section" of the Electronic Journals Library (EZB) was one source for the Wikipedia-article "African Studies Journals".